Friday, May 10, 2013

How I made this encaustic painting.

12" x12" encaustic painting.
 This block of encaustic is 13"x13"x 1.75". About 150 layers each layer brushed on and fused. Before I start to cut I warm it up using a heat lamp.
 First cut using a small loop tool. These tools are used for making dentures.
Next a hot putty knife.
Another hot putty knife.
 The tools.
 Clean up.
 By-product that I will use later.
 Close up after it is cleaned up.
Lay out on panel. The panel has 10 layers of encaustic on it. 
 Welding the color strip to the panel using a torch.
 Close up after the weld.
Build a dam around the panel using blue paint tape.
 Pour clear encautic medium over the whole panel.
One of the employees at Black Rabbit Studio taking an afternoon break.
 After the pour cools down I clean up the color strip use a pottery loop tool.
Close up.

9 comments:

Leslie said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Your work is stunning. It's always nice to see how an artist creates.

dandelionweb said...

This is great thanks for showing your technique. May I cross post this to http://allthingsencaustic.com ?

Anonymous said...

Very interesting technique. Thank you for sharing your work.

Esther Pérez T. said...

me gusta mucho..muy interesante

Unknown said...

Thank you for the creative recipe! I'm just a beginner. I love the process of working with the wax and heat.

Unknown said...

The colors are soooo vivid

Noemi said...

Karl, is fantastic all your work. I have so many question... how many layers of each colors you put in each color layer?, what is the best tool you use to cut the layers if is an internal cut, not a border? it work better if the wax is warm or cold?
Thank you

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing this technic. I had problems to attach a scraped layer from a pannel to attach on another painted board. Your work isbased on a lot of layers, good to see.

Anonymous said...

Nice outcome. Looks great but seems like you could get the same effect using less wax. I suppose your set up to make a lot of pieces in the future.